Enviroshake VS Cedar
Enviroshake Products vs. Wood Shakes and Shingles
Enviroshake products are high-tech composite roofing and siding materials designed to replicate the look of weathered cedar shakes and shingles with engineered performance and durability that natural wood can’t match.
Experience the Enviroshake difference
- Limited Lifetime warranty that is fully transferable
- Enviroshake Products are installed for the same price as cedar!
- Enviroshake replicates the look of #1 grade taper-split cedar
- Enviroshingle replicate the look of perfection cedar shingles
- Mould, mildew and insect resistant
- Hail & Impact Resistant – Level 4 impact certification (UL2218)
- Passed Miami Dade wind speed tests at 180 MPH (290 km/h)
- The Enviroshake line is fire-retardant with unconditional Class A (ASTM E108) fire-rated products available
- Will not rot, blister, peel or crack
- Maintenance and worry free
- Requires no pre-treatments or preservatives
- Runoff water is non-toxic and potable
- You can walk on it
- Installs with less waste than traditional cedar shakes
- Made from 95% recycled materials
- Retains its value, giving the homeowner a 70-80% ROI
Click here to download your Enviroshake brochure.
- May require replacement due to rotting, warping, cracking, leaking or diminished aesthetics
- Is expensive to replace
- Offers a life expectancy of only 15-20 years but begins to lose its aesthetic appeal after 5–10 years
- High maintenance: requires pretreatments, preservatives, and other topical maintenance
- Has a poor fire rating
- Vulnerable to mold, mildew, and insect damage
- Depreciates in value from the date of installation
The lure of composite & synthetic roofing materials
Historically, cedar shakes and shingles have stood out as classic roofing options across North America. As time has passed, the cedar aesthetic has remained still highly desirable, but natural cedar shakes and shingles have become less appealing due to their short lifespans, costly upkeep, and fire code restrictions. Asphalt shingles simply cannot match the appeal of natural cedar, and replacing cedar with asphalt can even lower a home’s resale value. This has led to an increased demand for composite and synthetic shake options that offer the classic cedar aesthetic as well as the low-maintenance longevity that homeowners deserve.
A proven and long-lasting cedar alternative
Synthetic or composite cedar shakes and shingles are an excellent alternative to real wood shakes. They authentically capture the classic appeal of cedar by replicating the thickness, width, variations, and topical texture of natural cedar. In fact, Enviroshake composite shakes are created based on 3D images of natural cedar shakes, ensuring a true-to-nature design. Due to their unique formulation, Enviroshake products offer superior durability and longevity all without requiring any maintenance. Composite cedar shakes, unlike natural cedar, are not prone to mold, mildew, insect damage, warping, cracking, or curling. They are not damaged by high winds, UV radiation, freeze–thaw cycles, moisture, salt spray, or impacts. The true beauty of a composite roof lies in its ability to offer a desirable weathered cedar aesthetic for the life of your roof without undergoing the deterioration that a natural wood roof ultimately faces.
Peace of mind
Composite and synthetic roofs offer homeowners a unique peace of mind, as they do not require maintenance throughout their lengthy lifespans. In particular, Enviroshake products are sold with a fully transferable lifetime warranty—and accelerated third-party testing has proven they can last far longer than 50 years!
Due to their moisture absorption, natural cedar shakes are also substantially impacted in humid climates. As such, in most environments today, a natural cedar roof—even when treated—will only last a maximum of 20–25 years. The moisture causes the shakes to warp, crack, curl, decay, and develop mold, which is aesthetically unpleasing and compromises the roof system. Conversely, synthetic roofing shingles undergo less than 2% moisture absorption and are unaffected by the issues cedar shakes face in humid environments. In addition, synthetic shakes provide the desired cedar shake appeal with a much longer roof lifespan.
Synthetic roofing materials provide peace of mind. In areas with high fire risk, even treated cedar is frequently banned, making synthetic shakes the most attractive alternative.
Most composite cedar shake roofing tiles are made using a proportion of recycled materials—in fact, Enviroshake products are composed of 95% post-industrial recycled materials. Further, many, including Enviroshake materials, can be recycled at the end of their lives, reducing the environmental footprint of composite roofing materials and saving trees every time they are used instead of natural cedar.
As sustainability becomes an important topic in North America, a widespread push for green building, eco-friendly materials, and low-maintenance roofing options has developed. Everyone wants a roof that captures the beauty of the appearance, color variation, and texture of natural materials while offering superior, eco-friendly performance. Architects, builders, and homeowners today have the luxury of choosing authentic-looking cedar alternatives impressive to even the most discerning eye with the durability and longevity natural materials cannot match.
Interested in reading more project profiles? Click Here